Sunday, December 7, 2008

Our Maine Missionary


Even though Ashley's mission is to New Hampshire (aka New Hamster) she started out in Maine. She got her first glimpse of the Atlantic Ocean. Here is her latest email;

Dear Family and Friends, Greetings from Yarmouth, Maine. I still can't believe I'm here :) I hope you all had a wonderful week. My week was pretty amazing. Thanksgiving was awesome. My companion and I ate at a member's home. The food was delicious - especially the homemade mashed potatoes. People have been giving us leftovers all week, which is very nice for us - no cooking necessary! Our neighbor made pot roast with veggies the other night and he brought some over to us. It was so good. Especially after a long day of tracting in the cold. Mom - you'll be so proud of me, I ate shrimp yesterday and I liked it :) It was in a yummy pasta dish we ate at a member's house. But anyway, sorry for talking about food so much, you can tell its almost lunch time. The work is coming along. We have a new investigator. Her name is Sally. We met her while tracting and she invited us in. We taught her the first lesson then and there, and she invited us to come back. She said she would read the Book of Mormon. Yay! We had another interesting experience while tracting yesterday. We met a young man named Ziggy. His father turned us away, but as we were walking down the driveway he called us back and said "I'll talk to you guys." He got out his bible and sat down with us and started asking questions. He's been struggling in his life and wanted to know if we could help him know how to be happier. He told us about some of the struggles and we basically taught him the law of chastity and called him to repentance. It was interesting. He said he'd like to read the B of M and come to church tho, so that's exciting. The weather this week has been crazy! We had a big rain storm on Tuesday - it rained all day with pretty strong winds. Up to 50 mph I heard.There was debris all over the road. Luckily we were able to stay inside most of the day, and when we did have to go out tracting, the rain had slow down some. When we got home for the night, the power was out, but it came back on around 5 am, so it was ok. Friday we had some awesome looking fog and Sunday we had snow! The first snow I've seen here. It was really pretty. It's all gone now though - the rain melted it. The members here are great. Almost everyone has a calling because our branch is fairly small. I thought it was really neat that the priest's quorum has the calling to lead the music in sacrament meeting. Yesterday in church we had some really awesome lessons about scriptures and how to be a good teacher. It's cool how the lessons each sunday can apply to every person's life in a different way. I love going to church:) Sorry I didn't have time to finish reading your e-mail before I sent this. It sounds like you are having fun with the holidays, I'm glad that you all like the new house. I haven't been too cold mom, so don't worry too mcuh. My new coat is down and really long, so it keeps me pretty warm. Ricky and Jacqui - Congratulations on your new family member, I'm so excited for you guys. Ammon is such a cute name! Love you all! Shelley and Tammy - Thanks for all your help in getting me warmer clothes :) I haven't received any package yet, but I'm excited. Thank you! I've got to go now, but I love you all! I hope you have a wonderful week! Know that I'm doing well and that missionary work is awesome and so important. Much love, Sister Mitchell

No comments: